Monday, May 25, 2009

Wheater pledges future to Boro

David Wheater wants to help Middlesbrough get back in the top-flight, but fears being sold to balance the books.

Wheater, a Boro fan, says the prospect of Championship football will not prompt him to ask for a transfer, and he feels a year in the second tier will not harm his long-term England ambitions.

The only way the 22-year-old will leave is if manager Gareth Southgate accepts a bid for the centre-back.

straight back

"I've got two more years left here so it is up to the manager," Wheater said. "I'm happy to stay here. I won't ask for a transfer but if the manager accepts another bid then that is a different matter.

"Maybe if I was 28 or 29 and still hadn't played for England then I might be thinking differently but I've got plenty of years ahead to get in the England squad.

"I've supported Boro all my life so they are a team I want to be playing for at the moment and try to get them back up. That's where I want to be, the Premier League with Middlesbrough. I think we can get straight back. I think we have enough quality to do that."

No comments:

Post a Comment