Monday, May 25, 2009

Coyle ready for great adventure

Burnley manager Owen Coyle is relishing the challenge of competing in the "best league in the world".

The Clarets clinched promotion to the Barclays Premier League with a 1-0 win over Sheffield United in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

Wade Elliott's superb strike was enough to put the Lancashire club back in the top flight for the first time since 1976 and Coyle can hardly wait to embark on "the great adventure".

fantastic achievement

He said: "We've got a great adventure to look forward to. We are going into the best league in the world with some of the best players and best managers in the world.

"When I came here, I inherited some good players but I felt we had to improve by a third in order compete.

"We sold a few to raise money but we did not spend it all so this is a fantastic achievement by the players.

"I knew they were some of the most talented players in the Championship but there an abundance of them in the Premier League.

"We know if we can finish fourth from bottom next year that will be an even greater achievement than this - so that is something we will have to look at.

"But that is for later. Right now we are going to enjoy the moment and I am obviously delighted. I thought we were worthy winners.

"We got the ball down and played. We knew we would come under pressure at times and we stood up to that and limited them to very few goalscoring opportunities.

"We missed a few chances and at 1-0 it is always difficult because they are a talented side.

"But I trust the players implicitly. They believe in each other and there is a fantastic spirit in the camp.

"The goal was worthy of winning any game and I am thrilled for the fans who have been magnificent all season."

Almost as soon as the final whistle sounded, Coyle was being linked with the vacancy at Celtic following the departure of manager Gordon Strachan.

However the Burnley manager brushed aside questions saying: "I did not even know there was a vacancy.

"I am focused solely on the job here and doing well for Burnley."

massive impact

Devastated Sheffield United manager Kevin Blackwell hinted he may also resign in the wake of a defeat which will have a massive impact on the Blades.

Promotion to the Barclays Premier League is reckoned to be worth upwards of £50m and The south Yorkshire side will now lose their parachute payment.

Blackwell said: "I might have taken the club as far as I can. I know what losing this match means and I know the ramifications.

"The income drops now to around £10m, there is a significant downturn. It is very difficult to get back if you do not do it inside two years and many clubs struggle.

"We have lost our parachute payment and it will mean rebuilding and that might take some time. Some players will leave the club and I have to reflect on my role.

"Congratulations to Burnley. I am very jealous of them because I want to be in the Premier League."

No comments:

Post a Comment