Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ricky Sbragia keen to prove he is still at the races

There is no respite, no escape, no avoiding the unavoidable. Players across the North East are hearing the same sort of messages from supporters: relegate our rivals, do it for us, make sure we are safe. The managers, already burdened with heavy responsibility, are getting it in the neck even more.

Last week, Ricky Sbragia, of Sunderland, attempted to escape from the pressure. Depending on Sunday's results, two clubs from Sunderland, Newcastle United, Middlesbrough and Hull City will be demoted and Sbragia hoped to forget about it for a few hours with a trip to the York races. Oops.

“I mistakenly went out,” Sbragia said. “There was a lot of banter, a bit of stick, most of it was decent and good, but I wish I'd walked the other way and taken the short cut.

“You have to take the rough with the smooth and I don't have a problem with that. In an ideal world, you would love to see all three North East teams stay up, but I know that won't happen. I've had plenty of people saying to me, 'Let's send the Magpies down.' You have to be very open and speak to people.

“It can get heated, but you have to take it and listen to them; what they say might be right. You do get compliments as well, but I don't have a problem with it [the banter].”

Sunderland are two points clear of the relegation zone and only victory over Chelsea at the Stadium of Light will guarantee Sbragia's side a third consecutive season in the Barclays Premier League.

“I don't think I've been involved in a bigger game than this,” said Phil Bardsley, the full back, who scored an own goal in the 3-1 defeat away to Portsmouth on Monday.

“Everyone knows how important it is. It's about self pride and everyone's up for it. Everyone's really relishing it and ready for it. The tension is mounting and everyone's talking about it. Bring it on.

“I wouldn't say I was nervous. Anxious, maybe, but I'm ready to roll and after the game on Monday night, I just want to get back out again and play.”

No comments:

Post a Comment