Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rodwell ready for final spotlight

Rodwell, who picked up the shareholders' young player of the year trophy this week at the club's annual awards dinner, could well figure in the match-day squad for the Wembley final on 30th May against Chelsea.

And Everton manager David Moyes has gone on record as saying that he would have no fears putting the 18 year-old from Birkdale into such a big match.

Rodwell says: "It is nice to hear that my manager has confidence in me but there are some good players in my position so if I have to wait my turn then so be it.

"But if I get my chance (at Wembley) then I will take it, fine. The squad is strong at the moment so there is a lot of competition for places. That is healthy and we will see what happens."

Rodwell has scored at Wembley for England schoolboys and was a second-half substitute in the cup semi-final victory against Manchester United, and now he could face the biggest match of his life in a week-and-a-half.

Another Everton teenager likely to be involved at Wembley is midfielder Dan Gosling, who scored the late goal that beat Liverpool in a fourth round replay.

mean something

Rodwell and Gosling are likely to start Sunday's final league match of the season at Fulham as Moyes rests some of his senior stars for the final.

And Gosling admits that he is determined to learn from midfield colleague Tim Cahill.

He said: "The most important thing is to win the cup rather than me worrying about starting, but it is just going to be great to be involved at Wembley.

"I set myself some targets at the start of the season, and I am pleased with three goals in 14 appearances and my standards have improved. But hopefully I will be even better again next season.

"I would like to think that I could become a player like Tim (Cahill). I watch him every day in training and try to follow his movement and the positions that he gets himself into in the box.

"I have just been trying to copy him. I have scored a few goals this season and hopefully the one against Liverpool will mean something at the end of the month."

No comments:

Post a Comment