Sunday, May 17, 2009

Exit looms for Tottenham Hotspur's David Bentley and Roman Pavlyuchenko

David Bentley and Roman Pavlyuchencko could leave Tottenham Hotspur this summer. Harry Redknapp confirmed he has to sell at least two members of his squad to bring in fresh talent and, after his side’s 2-1 defeat of Manchester City on Saturday, the Spurs manager indicated whom he may be willing to sacrifice.

“David is obviously going to be a player who’s going to look at it and think, well, hang on here, I’m not getting in the team, even when Aaron Lennon’s not fit, and maybe it’s time I moved on or something,” Redknapp said of the midfield player who signed for £15 million from Blackburn Rovers last summer.

Bentley’s last appearance was as a substitute in a 1-1 draw away to Sunderland in March, yet Redknapp says there is no animosity. “As a person I like him very much,” he said. “He’s a good lad and a good player, but I’ve played differently and I’ve changed how we play a little bit and I’ve had results, so no one can complain.”

Pavlyuchenko, who cost £14 million from Spartak Moscow last summer, was substituted after a poor performance against City at White Hart Lane and ran straight down the players’ tunnel. Redknapp admitted that he was being sarcastic with the applause he gave the striker as he ran away.

“You’re looking to scrap away, the fans are here, they pay their money to watch and I think when a player runs down the tunnel without sitting there and watching his team, getting behind his team, I think it’s disrespectful to his team-mates and I don’t like it,” he said.

Redknapp can guide Tottenham into the Europa League with a seventh-place finish if they beat Liverpool on the last day of their campaign and Fulham lose, but he said he has no idea if he or the players would be due a bonus payment for qualifying for the competition that replaces the Uefa Cup. “I’ve never looked at my contract since I came here,” Redknapp said. “I’ve never even seen it. I don’t even know if I signed it, to be honest, and that is the God’s honest truth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment