Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Blues deal for Malouda

Chelsea winger Florent Malouda has signed a new two-year extension to his current contract with the club.


The 29-year-old Frenchman, who had two years remaining on his previous agreement, has ended speculation over his future at Stamford Bridge by putting pen to paper on a new deal that will now keep him at the club until 2013.

Malouda, who enjoyed a fine end to the Barclays Premier League campaign under interim coach Guus Hiddink, was linked with a move to AC Milan.

But a spokesman for Chelsea confirmed: "The club and the player have agreed terms on a new four-year contract."
NOW STAYING
Malouda had two years remaining on his existing deal and was expected to move on, especially when the London club were linked with a move for Russian Yuri Zhirkov.

But the France international is now staying at Stamford Bridge.

Malouda said: "I can reveal that I have signed a new two-year deal with Chelsea.

"I am staying. From now on, I have four years left on my contract.

"I know that every time the transfer window opens there are a lot of rumours and I hope in this one people will know what has happened."

Malouda had struggled to settle into English football following his £13.5m transfer from Lyon in 2007.

But he returned to top form under Hiddink and eventually started 31 matches for the Blues last term - scoring seven goals including a crucial equaliser in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal.

He turned in an exciting display in the FA Cup final victory against Everton and recently said: "It was a great year with the trophy for Chelsea and above all the fact that I have always dreamed of winning this great tournament and finally realised my dream.

"I have great relationships at Chelsea and, in sporting terms, things are getting better and better. I am part of a team where I am flourishing."

No comments:

Post a Comment